Wolverhampton Harts 1 – 0 Cardiff Dragons (GFSN League)

The Dragons go down fighting in a very close encounter – match report by Dave Amos:

Wolverhampton Harts 1 Cardiff Dragons 0

Starting Line up:
Ryan, John A, Christian, Muzz [Manager], Chris G [Captain], Matt, Chris C, Mike W, Liam, Chris O.
Subs: Kris, Andy, James, Jay, Adam.

Never in 5 years have we had so much possession and chances and not got anything from a game. That’s how close  we came today. If you’re going lose a game, and we never want lose, that was the way to lose if that makes sense. There were competitive debuts for Ryan, Chris O, Matt, and Adam – congratulations to all of them.

Wolverhampton started the brighter side with 3 corners in the first 15 minutes. The Dragons really got into the game after that with Chris O having a couple of shots that went just wide. There was also some good link up play with Matt and Liam, and the midfield worked hard with some excellent passing link up play along the floor. However, on 21 minutes and against the run of play, we went a goal down. The ball was played over the defence and we were a little slow to react; the shot was struck well from 8 yards giving Ryan no chance in goal.

The goal did not affect the way the Dragons were playing – they continued to create chance after chance. On 28 minutes the Dragons conceded a free kick just out side the area. Ryan excelled by making a great save to keep the score at 1-0. Anthony also came to the Dragons rescue by kicking the ball off the line on 29 minutes but the defence was being well marshalled by Muzz and Chris G. The remaining 16 minutes of the first half was all Dragons with Andy coming on for Mike W on 30 minutes. There was good work by Liam in that period who was causing all sorts of problems with his pace and ability. Both Matt and Chris O had chances in that period.

Half time 1-0 to Wolverhampton.

The Dragons started slowly in the 2nd half and were not so fluent, but Liam forced a save from the keeper on 50 minutes and there was also a shoot from Anthony that was just over. On 55 minutes Muzz picked up a nose injury that forced him off so Mike W replaced him. On 60 minutes Chris C came off after working very well down the left wing all match and was replaced by Adam. On 65 minutes Muzz came back on and Christian came off after having an excellent game at left back and centre back after Muzz came off. The next 25 minutes was all the Dragons. We were creating so many chances but we just lacked that killer finish today. I knew it was not going to be our day when on 85 minutes Matt hit the post \ cross bar with a scorching shot that beat the goalkeeper all ends up. In the last 5 minutes the Dragons had 4 corners and a free kick but were unable to unlock the Wolverhampton defence. In that period Chris C replaced John A and James replaced Matt who got a bad cramp injury.

Final score Wolverhampton Harts 1 Cardiff Dragons 0

Thanks to Ali and Amy for driving the mini bus. A huge thank you to Kris and Mike W for running the line and for Hannah for her support. A final get well soon to Muzz who has broken his nose. Its difficult to mention everyone in the report so if I have not mentioned you please accept my apologies.
MOM goes to Matt excellent all round performance.

Squad was as follows: Muzz [Manager], Chris G [Captain], kris, Ryan, Anthony, Adam, Andy, Chris C, Christian, Chris O, James,
Jay, John A, Liam, Matt, Mike.

Supporters: Ali, Amy, Dave A, Hannah.