Titans Anniversary Tournament

The format for the tournament was different to ones we have played so far with the games being 11-a-side and of a 25 minute duration in our group. The other 4 teams which made up our group were Falcons, Titans, Leftfooters and Stonewall.

Our opening game was against Leftfooters a game we went into quite attack minded playing Hywel and Mark up front and getting the full backs forward when possible and central defenders for corners something we tried to do a lot on the day. We were unlucky to lose as we had the majority of chances but were caught out with a goal on the break 5 minutes or so from the end to go down 1-0.

Our second game was against a strong Falcons team and was our best all round performance of the day. We defended very well to frustrate them for the majority of the game limiting their attacks with Kris L making one fine diving save from one of their limited chances. We had our own opportunities with Mark and Hywel working well together up front on the day and Sam and Anthony providing a platform for attacks in central midfield. The game was again won with a single goal towards the end.

Next up was the Falcons we did not start this game well and were 2-0 down inside 15 minutes as we failed to clear a couple of balls into our area allowing them to score from close range. We improved in the second period of the match though and had some sustained pressure reducing the deficit to 2-1 with a composed left foot finish from Muzz.

Our final group game was against Stonewall this was a very even game but we again lost out to a single goal towards the end. We made several forays into the Stonewall half but were unable to convert our possession around their area into clear cut chances.

Following the group we played a further play off game game against the second Leftfooters team who finished 5th in the other group. We controlled this game making most of the running but the ball did not quite fall for us and although we made several chance these were either blocked or flew wide of the goal as the game ended 0-0. This meant the game went to penalties where we unfortunately lost out 5-4 in the shoot out.

Overall it was a enjoyable and rewarding day on which we performed very well and gained some valuable match experience with over 2 hours of football in total against some strong opposition. It was nice that three of our newer players Mark and the two John’s traveled with us to play on their first Dragons away trip.

Squad on the day was: Kris Llewellyn, Richie Jones, Dave Amos, Ray Wilson, Murray Harvey, John B, Jason Cousins, John A, Anthony Read, Samuel Ashton, Lucy Lockwood, Amy Johnson, Hywel Jones, Graeme Monk and Mark Biggs.