London Phoenix 4 – 1 Cardiff Dragons (GFSN Cup)

A Supporters View of GFSN cup game in London against London Phoenix – by Dave Amos.

Both minibuses set off at 8.15am – well one minibus did – we were very fortunate to add both Chris G and Chris C to the squad on the morning as two late-availability players so one minibus got a head start. A huge thank you from everyone on the minibuses to both Ali and Amy for driving, both doing a brilliant job navigating the London traffic and getting us home safely.

Onto the match.
Since Chris G, at the time of selection was unavailable, John A was made captain for the day. It was John’s first competitive game as captain many congratulations to John on that honour. There was also a very welcome return to Christian after a long lay off due to injury and a huge thank you goes to Mark R for travelling all the way down from Manchester to play.

The Dragons line-up was:
Kris, John A (capt), Muzz, Chris G, Ant, Paul, Jay, Mike, Chris C, Christian, Deane.
Subs: James, Darrin, Mark R

Phoenix started the game strongly using both wings to great effect which led to Phoenix taking a two-goal-lead after just 15 minutes. The Dragons never gave up, even being 2 goals down they were battling hard and got back into the game after 25 mins thanks to a penalty awarded to Chris C due to a push in the box. Chris G stepped up to take it and scored a rocket from the spot. The half time score was 2-1 to Phoenix.
The game was very open and played at an amazing pace. There were some good individual performances on the day and all subs were used throughout the game to ensure that everyone got good game time and some tired legs could be rested. Unfortunately, Phoenix scored two further goals in the 2nd half running out 4-1 winners.
It was a great battling performance from the Dragons who never gave up, but sadly it was not to be our cup game win on the day. Phoenix now travel away to Glasgow for their next cup game.

Dragons Man of the Match was Chris G for a great defensive performance.