Leicester Wildecats 1-0 Cardiff Dragons


The Dragons went down 0-1 to The Wildecats on a sun drenched day in Leicester.

On a very hard and bumpy pitch, which made football very difficult, this was always going to be a tough fixture as the division is wide open.

The Dragons lined up as follows:-
Kris, Ant (Capatain), Muzz (Manager), Ryan, Jason, Paul, Ed, Hywel, Mark, Crispin, Simon E. Subs: John A, Dave F, Leanne, Daren.

Both started off trying get control of the ball on bumpy surface. The first real action of the game involved Muzz making an excellent tackle in our box to stop the threat on our goal.

The Dragons soon found their way and after some good build up play in midfield Mark shot over from just outside the Wildecats box. It was Leicester’s turn next from a corner, Jason having to clear the ball off the goal line. A long ball over the top of The Wildcats defence set Simon up, whose pace was excellent and gave the Wildcats defence something to think about but did not result in an advantage to The Dragons.

More good work in the middle of the park with some good use of headed knock ons on the bouncy pitch resulting in Ant almost finishing off the move.

It was then that we saw the only booking of the game The Wildecats No 2 picking up a caution for a late tackle on Ant.

The Wildecats applied pressure to The Dragons defence resulting in Paul having play the ball over his own crossbar. From the resulting corner there was some solid keeping from Kris taking the pressure off the defence by coming and claiming the high ball into the box.

The half ended with both sides playing a lot of long balls without much success.

Half Time 0-0.

Muzz made two changes at half time bring on John A to replace Jason who had a solid first half and Dave F to replace Simon E who once again showed some good pace. Mark going upfront Dave F slotting into midfield.

The second half was not very old when The Dragons lost the ball in the midfield and then were caught out in defence resulting in The Wildecats taking the lead with a shot from about 10 yards out. 1-0 The Wildecats.

The Dragons started to apply some good pressure on the break with some good work between Crispin and Mark resulting in Mark shooting over. The Wildecats themselves won a number of corners that were dealt with by The Dragons defence.

An excellent ball by Ed found Mark who out paced the The Wildcats defence but it was a brilliant save by The Wildcats keeper that denied The Dragon the equaliser. It seemed that it was not going to be our day.

From an excellent Crispin corner The Dragons put the The Wildcats goal under more pressure without getting the reward they deserved.

The Dragons then had Kris to thank for an excellent save after a one on one with The Wildecats forward.

We then changed Hywel with Simon E who had worked well all afternoon but was suffering with a knee injury.

There was still time for The Wildecats to apply some final pressure and it was a great saving tackle by Ryan that went for a corner.

That was the final action of game The Wildecats winning a very close encounter 1-0.

Thanks to David Keith for running the line for us. Also a big thank you to Leanne and Daren for all there support of the team on the day.

Well done to Leicester and thanks for their hospitality on the day.

The Amos (Assistant Manager)

Dragon of the Match Vote

[poll id=”14″]