Cardiff Dragons 1 – 3 GFC Bournemouth

In their penultimate league fixture of the season the Dragons put in a very good performance against unbeaten GFC Bournemouth and with a bit more luck could have taken something from the game. The match was played at University playing fields on a excellent surface for football and as usual there was vociferous support on the day for the Dragons.

The first half began in frantic fashion and Bournemouth were dominant in the first 15 minutes with the Dragons lucky not to concede more than the one goal finished well into the bottom corner following a neat one two on the edge of the area. The Dragons goal led a charmed life at times as the visitors stuck the woodwork 3 times in the opening 15 minutes. At the other end the Dragons always looked dangerous on the counter attack and nearly got back into the game when Chris C put Mark clear but his low shot was just wide of the near post. Bournemouth then extended their lead from a fortuitous penalty awarded for handball but the Dragons slowly gained momentum coming increasingly more into the game as the half progressed but were unable to find an end product to their attacks.

The second period in stark contrast to the first saw the Dragons come out of the blocks quickly not allowing Bournemouth to settle. A sustained spell of pressure resulted in several corners and a succession of chances one of which was cleared off the line following a shot by Muzz. The pressure finally told when Sam finished from close range following another good ball into the area to deservedly reduce the arrears. The home side continued in the ascendancy and could have won a penalty following a challenge on Stefan when put through. Further opportunities continued to present themselves with Stefan shooting wide after creating an opening for himself and Chris C having a goal bound free kick cleared off the line for a corner. The Dragons however thought they had found the equaliser moments later when Sam beat the visitors goalkeeper to the ball but his goal bound effort was ruled to have been cleared off the line. The game was now becoming very open and Bournemouth started to create chances of their own in the final quarter with a couple of efforts saved well by Kris L. With 5 minutes remaining though the visitors scored the clinching goal with a close range finish from a corner as the game ended 3-1 to Bournemouth.

Dragons squad on the day – Kris Llewellyn, Christian Jones, Murray Harvey, Cedric Germain, Aris Da Silva, Anthony Read, David Fry, Samuel Ashton, Stefan Morgan, Chris Crimmins, Mark Biggs, Darrin Hughes, John Ainsley, Paul Searle, Jason Cousins, Jerry Bull.