Devon Lions 2 – 5 Cardiff Dragons

New boys Deane scored 4 goals and Emyr 1 in a fantastic away performance in there opening South West League game for the Dragons on a very wet day down in Devon.

The Dragons lined up as follows:-

Kris, Aris, John A, Anthony, Ryan, Thomas, Emyr, Michael W, Kevin, Chris G (Capt), Deane.

Subs: Ruth, Jay, Lawrence, John W.

Emyr got in an early shoot that forced the Lions keeper into a good save. But it was Devon that scored first after 4 minutes scoring from close range 1-0 Devon.

It did not take long for the Dragons to hit back 2 minutes was all it took a great run down the wing by aris and a pin point cross found Deane who controlled the ball well and shoot home from around 12 yards 1-1.

The Dragons were at it again after 10 minutes a well executed free kick by Anthony found Deane in the box and once again he showed good control to fire home 2-1 Dragons.

The Dragons were taking control of the game now and a great ball in by Chris G found Emyr who finished well inside the box 3-1 Dragons. Congratulations to Emyr is first ever Dragons goal.

As this was a South West league game this was always going to be a game where everyone got good time on the pitch. Emyr was replaced by Lawrence. The Dragons continued to create more chances earning a few corners. Ruth Replaced Kevin.

It was Devon’s turn then to put some pressure on the Dragons and the ever dependable Anthony cleared off the line. Ruth almost put the Dragons 3-1 up but just missed out by a fraction after a good run into the box after a good ball by Deane. Kris was called into action the Dragons goal making a fine save from a long shoot, again a few minutes later producing another good save down low to his left.

A great through ball by captain Chris G found Deane and the form he was on today he was not going to miss this chance and collecting his hat trick 4-1 Dragons. John W replaced Michael W. deven went close just before half time with a shoot just going wide. Anthony had a shoot that was just over on 45 minutes and that brought the half to an end.

H/T 4-1 Dragons.

Second half Jay replaced Aris and Emyr replaced Deane. Aris went on to referee the 2nd half of the game and I would like to take this opportunity to thanking Aris for doing this for us it was very much appreciated by Muzz our manager.

Devon started off well in the second half and put the dragons under a lot of pressure with once again Anthony along with Ryan were staring at the back and it was Anthony who cleared off the line again. Devon took advantage of this pressure and scored there 2nd goal of the game a shoot within the box 4-2 Dragons.

The Dragons were much on the back foot for long periods in the 2nd half but everybody was playing there part in a solid performance and I fell everybody deserves a mention for this John A, was great at full back as always Michael W was dependable as ever John W was looking to use the ball well when he had possession, Lawrence always looks to play the ball well, Jay was keeping his position well at right back Thomas was winning loads of ball in the centre of midfield for us.

The following changes were also made Michael W replaced Ruth and Kevin replaced Lawrence and Deane replaced Thomas. Kris continued to play well in goal in this period making a number of fine saves.

On 88 minutes the scoring was complete when Deane made it 5-2 Dragons and his 4th of the game.

Final score Devon Lions 2 Cardiff Dragons 5

A big thank you to our supports Michael who made the long drive down to Devon its very much appreciated by all at the club. A big thank you from me to Christine and Julie for allowing me to sit in the grandstand out of the rain to allow me to write this report (the car was  welcome cover from the rain and Christine’s help in my writing of the report).

The last sentence has to go to Muzz & Christian for managing the side a big well done from all at the club.