Cardiff Dragons 1-7 Leicester Wildecats

Cardiff Dragons 1  Leicester Wildcats 7    GFSN League Div 2 – 2nd October 2011

On a very hot and sunny Cardiff afternoon an accomplished all round performance by the Widlcats saw them run out worthy winners over the Dragons.

The game started very evenly with attacking intent from both sides. Some good link up play in the Dragons midfield resulting in a couple of good runs and crosses from Bruno but unfortunately no one could get on the end of them. At the other end Leicester fashioned a couple of half chances with a header wide from a free kick and a sot from 18 yards which also missed the target.  On the quarter hour mark though the visitors did find the net when the ball was squared from the left and finished well into the bottom corner from 18 yards. The Wildcats continued to play freely and it was not long before they scored again with a firm header from an in swinging corner. Not long after Leicester increased their advantage to 3-0 from an excellent volleyed finish across the keeper from the left edge of the area. On 35 minutes the Dragons had a great opportunity to strike back quickly when a cross found Michael in space 10 yards out but although he found the target the keeper was able to gather the shot. With 10 minutes to go before the break Jason replaced Nicky who unfortunately had to come off injured after replacing Aris only a couple of minutes earlier.

The second half saw both teams have a similar amount of territory but the Dragons were once again undone by some clinical Leicester finishing as they added further goals at regular intervals the best of these being a volley into the top corner from 18 yards when the ball was only half cleared. The Dragons who had made some positional changes with Michal being introduced at the break made chances themselves with Michal himself shooting over from the edge of the area. They were rewarded with a deserved goal when a good ball over the visitors defence from Murray was taken down and finished by Anthony. This was followed by a 25 yard strike from Murray which the keeper held well. During the second period the Dragons brought on Darrin and Ruth into the fray with Ruth making her league debut.

Thanks to all those who came and provided excellent support to the team as usual. Well done to Anthony who was voted Dragon of the day

Dragons squad:-  Christian J (GK), John A, Murray H, Ryan M, Aris D, Hywel J, Anthony R (captain), Simon D, Michael W, Bruno , Ed L, Jason C, Michal , Darrin H, Ruth W, Nicky.