Leicester Wildecats 2-0 Cardiff Dragons

Leicester Wildcats  2    Cardiff Dragons  0   GFSN League Div 2 Sun 15/04/12

The Dragons latest away trip saw them go down 2-0 in their return fixture as their hosts Leicester clinched the Division 2 title. The game was a disappointment overall with neither side able to play with any real fluency on a dry surface and in difficult windy conditions. The Wildcats however proved in general the more effective team and in a game of few clear cut chances deserved their win in the end.

The opening exchanges saw both sides trying to settle into an early rhythm but this proved difficult and although both forced a couple of corners these came to little. Of the few chance there were in the first half Leicester created the better ones but these were kept mainly to long range with two good efforts flying narrowly wide. As the half grew on the Wildcats continued to have the upper hand with the wind at their backs but the visitors defence did well in general especially to repel a goalmouth scramble in the 20th minute. When the first goal did arrive it was courtesy of an own goal following a long ball through the centre. As the Leicester forward challenged for an attempt on goal Ed did well to win the header but the ball looped over the keeper and just inside the far post.  With no more scoring Leicester led 1-0 at the break.

With the wind now in their favour the Dragons had hope of getting back into the game and this looked likely as they had their best period of the game in the opening minutes of the half. With the home defence under their first concerted pressure it was to the Dragons disappointment that only a succession of corners and a couple of blocked half chances resulted from this early pressure. As the half grew on the Wildcats were more of a force again breaking well and scored an opportunist second goal which effectively sealed the match. The goal came when possession was won by the home team near their own area as the Dragons pressed forward. From the resulting ball up field a Leicester forward capitalised by gaining possession following hesitancy to clear and running on to coolly slot past the advancing keeper. The Dragons continued to have a good deal of territory and force a couple of half chances but there was no way back into the game as the home defence saw out the game.

As well as the squad below thanks go to Christian, Claire and Amos for travelling up with us and for  their help and support to the team on the day.

Squad: Lawrence H, Murray H (manager), Anthony R (captain), Ed L, John A, Michael W, Andrew C, Chris G, Ryan M,  Mark B, Stefan M, Aris D, Jason C.