Hotscots FC 5-1 Cardiff Dragons

Hotscots  5   Cardiff Dragons  1        GFSN League Sunday 27th Nov 2011

This was the second trip to Edinburgh in Dragons history and despite the result not going our way it was just as memorable as the first. Fifteen of us made the journey by various modes of transport with the majority in the Dragon bus. The long 9 hour journey each way was made easier by the various quizzes, quips and random conversations which took place. David was sterling in his efforts as driver ensuring the troops and service stops were kept in order especially at controversial Tebay!

After arriving we checked into our accommodation at Haggis Hostels a nice clean hostel but not much space between the bunks causing much banging of heads and knees. We also had a guest sleeping in one of our bunks when we arrived but he was kind enough to leave. On heading into town we had a sociable meal with much haggis whilst watching football in a traditional Edinburgh establishment with several fine beers on offer. We then headed to the bars starting in Precillas where we took over the karaoke stage. There were solo performances by Dave A, Bruno, Michael and Jason and duets from Anthony and Ryan and Roger and Darrin. Mixed results ensued but the highlight was Delilah which we sang passionately as a group with Amos taking lead role on the air drums. We then moved onto CC Blooms club dancing away and arriving back to the hostel at various times of the morning. Later that morning several of us visited the fabulous local café for a mixture of stunning breakfasts then David arrived with Dragonbus to round us up and get us to the venue in good time.

Onto the game and it was a typical cold and blustery Edinburgh day but sunny all the same. The pitch was in pretty good condition but the grass was long so passing proved difficult at times. We stated the game well keeping our opponents at bay and soon gaining much territory in their half the midfield 3 of Michal, Michael and Anthony were working hard to break up play and win us some ball. John and Bruno were getting into good positions on the wing and several mazy Bruno runs were causing our opponents headaches. Sam was working hard up front to close the opposition down and receive the ball in threatening positions. The game was looking even at this point but whilst defending fairly well with Tomos having a solid league debut we were caught out twice. First when we failed to clear and secondly following a free kick. The Hotscots took full advantage with two good strikes from long range finding the net. At the other end we made opportunities ourselves with a good cross from the right just evading Anthony. We also forced a number of corners but these were cleared and Anthony had a half chance with a volleyed attempt. 2-0 at halftime to the Hotscots which was harsh on the balance of play.

We were up against it at the start of the second half as we did not start the half as well as the first and soon found ourselves 3-0 down. We slowly got into our rhythm though making some positional changes including introducing Darrin and David into the game. Bruno was continuing to cause the hosts headaches having switched wings and as we became more of a threat we put in a few dangerous crosses but were unable to get bodies onto the end of them. We did score a deserved goal though when Bruno got on the end of a ball in the area and finished low into the corner to make it 3-1.  We fought hard to get back into the game as Bruno had a shot from the edge of the area following another good run. We could not reduce the deficit further though and the pace of the Hotscots forward line allowed them to create further chances with two close range finishes making the final score 5-1.

Dragons Squad:-  John Q, Tomos R, Ryan M, Jason C, Anthony R (captain), Michal L, Michael W, John A, Bruno J, Sam A, Darrin H, David K.