Cardiff Dragons 0 – 2 Yorkshire Terriers

The Dragons returned to League action with a well contested encounter versus visitors the Terriers and were unlucky not to take anything from the game on the day. Due to inclement weather leading up to the game the match had to be switched to an astroturf surface which was a total change of conditions from Dragons previous fixture versus Falcons.

The first half started very brightly for the Dragons with the first ten minutes seeing most of the play in their opponents half however it took a while to adjust to the fast pace of the surface resulted in limited chances early on. The first real opportunity of the game saw the Dragons win a free kick 25 yards out but although the kick needed to be re-taken twice the Dragons could not profit as a firm shot from Mark just wide of the near post was the closest attempt. The Dragons continued to dominate but were caught out midway through the half when a shot from the edge of the area bounced back into the 6 yard area and with the hosts slow to react Yorkshire’s centre forward headed in from close range. This did not deter the home side though and they forced a succession of corners throughout the half. They almost equalised from one of these when Anthony’s inswinging corner was palmed away from the goaline but Alf could not profit from close range as the chance went begging. At the other end a couple of dangerous crosses from the flanks nearly caught the home defence out but no Yorkshire players were able to connect with these as Yorkshire went into the break 1-0 ahead.

The second period saw John A come on as substitute with the Dragons again starting the half brightly having a half chance to equalise early on when Mark was put away down the left following good link up play with Ed but he was unable to keep down his shot from the edge of the area. Chances continued to come for the Dragons with some good link up play Chris C shooting over from a 25 yard free kick and Anthony with a volley over the bar. Both Aris and Kris were introduced with 20 minutes remaining and further corners and half chances ensued but the visitors defence ensured nothing came from these. Yorkshire defended resoloutely throughout and were often dangerous on the break. Following a good tip over by Chris S from a long range effort another break earned Yorkshire a penalty and the second and clinching goal 5 minutes from the end. Although the initial spot kick was parried away well by Chris S the Dragons defence was slow to react allowing a Yorkshire player to bundle the ball over the line for the final goal of the game.

As usual their was a large and enthusiastic support on the day which helped lift the team.

Dragons Squad- Chris Seabrook (GK), Amy Johnson, Murray Harvey, Cedric Germain, David Fry, Stefan Morgan, Sam Ashton, Anthony Read, Lyons, Mark Biggs, Chris Crimmins, Darrin Hughes, Kris Llewellyn, Darrin Hughes, John Ainsley.