Cardiff Dragons 0 – 2 London Falcons

After a last minute venue switch the Dragons entertained London Falcons in what was the Dragons first GFSN League match of 2010.

The game was played in difficult conditions on a very muddy pitch and thus it was a struggle for both teams to play much cohesive football.  This was evident from the first few minutes with both sides trying to get the ball wide to make best effect of the playing surface. Both teams had early chances the visitors testing Chris Seabrook who was making his debut  but he was equal to the task. At the other end Chris Crimmins headed just wide from a good cross from the left. As the game settled the Falcons began to put together some good moves down both flanks and it was from one of these that they took the lead. The goal resulted when a deep cross from the left wing was not dealt with by the Dragons defence allowing a Falcons forward space to place a good header into the opposite corner of the net. Dragons had a great chance to level a few minutes later from one of many forceful runs from Stefan Morgan which found him in on goal but although his shot found the target it was well gathered by the visiting keeper. From the restart Dragons could have found themselves 2-0 down following a penalty award for a trip but Seabrook gathered well from the spot kick. Both sides forced corners towards the end of the half but there was no addition to the score line as Falcons went into the break 1-0 up.

The second period was a scrappy affair as the pitch continued to cut up badly but both sides persevered in the conditions. The visitors gained the crucial second goal midway through the half when a low ball across the box was not cleared allowing a Falcons player to shoot low into the corner. With the conditions causing mistakes there were further chances for the Dragons from Stefan and Chris C who shot just over from a free kick and for the Falcons with Seabrook making a couple of good blocks then saving his second penalty of the afternoon late in the game. There was no addition to the scoring however as Falcons maintained their winning run at the top of the League.

Thanks for another excellent turn out of Dragons supporters who cheered the team on throughout.

Dragons : Chris Seabrook, Amy Johnson, Murray Harvey (capt), Germain Cedric, Ray Wilson, Stefan Morgan, Lyons, Samuel Ashton, Anthony Read (vice capt), Mark Biggs, Chris Crimmins, Hywel Jones, Aris Dasilva, Lucas Owen, John Ainsley, Darrin Hughes.

Front page image courtesy of Matthew Latham