Cardiff Dragons 2 – 1 Leicester Wildecats

The Dragons secured their second GFSN League victory and their first home points of the season with a well earned victory over Leicester Wildcats. It was the first 11-a-side match between the two Clubs and proved to be an exciting encounter. The weather was fine on the day with the match taking place at University Playing fields the Dragons usual home venue.

The first half was saw plenty of chances as both sides fielded attacking formations. The home side were forced into a change early on when Alfie had to limp off after 5 minutes to be replaced by Paul. They coped well with this though as the defence gave a strong showing. Following a couple of early half chances for either side it was not long before the first goal arrived when Mark was put free down the right flank and his pinpoint cross found Chris C who headed low into the corner of the net. This gave the Dragons confidence and another forceful run by Mark resulted in a penalty following a push by a Leicester defender. The spot kick was confidently dispatched by captain Murray H to give the Dragons a 2-0 cushion. Leicester were by no means out of the game though and were unlucky not to reduce the deficit. The first of two good attempts saw Kris L save well with his legs to clear a goal bound shot for a corner and shortly afterwards tip a fine free kick onto the crossbar. The Dragons continued to have much of the play though and could have increased their lead further when Mark was put clear but his low shot was well blocked by the visiting keeper.

The tempo did not let up after the break in a fully committed game as the Wildcats searched for a way back into the match. They again came close to this but another excellent free kick once again was tipped away by a fine fingertip save from Kris L. At the other end the Dragons always looked dangerous on the counter attack with the midfield quartet all having strong games. Stefan was harshly adjudged offside when put through  the middle and the pace of Mark caused the Wildcats problems all afternoon,  creating himself a couple of further chances but he was unable to find the target. With the score at 2-0 Leicester could still see a way back and following a couple of snapshots which flew wide they made it 2-1 with 5 minutes remaining. The Dragons defence were unable to clear from inside their area allowing a Leicester player in to score with an opportunist close range finish. The Wildcats threw some long balls forward in search of an equaliser  but could only muster a couple of long range efforts as the Dragons saw out the game to seal the win.

The support for the team on the day from the sidelines  was as enthusiastic as ever, thanks to all those who were able to come and support the team.

Dragons Squad – Kris Llewellyn, David Fry, Murray Harvey (captain), Germain Cedric, Paul Searle, John Ainsley, Hywel Jones, Anthony Read (vice-captain), Lyons, Steffan Morgan, Chris Crimmins, Mark Biggs, Samuel Ashton, Chris Seabrook, Darrin Hughes.