Cardiff Dragons FC 3 – 1 Bristol Panthers FC (South West League)


South West League – Llanrumney University Fields 15.9.13

Cardiff Dragons 3 Bristol Panthers 1

Cardiff lined up as follows:-

Ryan, John A, Christian, Chris G (Capt), Adam, Matt, Liam, Mike W, Aris, Chris O, Anthony.
Subs: Jay, Paul, James.

On a wet and windy day the conditions were never going to be easy to master. Within the first 15 to 20 minutes both sides had a fair amount of possession and there was nothing between the two sides. Muzz made a tactical substitution on 16 minutes replacing Aris with Jay then moving John A to right midfield with Jay going to right back.

After the 20 minute mark the Dragons were starting to get in their stride. Matt O was winning a lot of ball in midfield and Liam was showing a lot of flair and was also winning a lot of ball. Chris O and Ant up front were benefitting from great passes through from the midfield with Mike W and John A playing their part in what was starting to be a very fluent performance all round.

In a 10 minute period in the first half the Dragons had shots from Chris O (twice), Ant, and Liam (twice) but the Bristol defence and goalkeeper stood up strong to them.

There was also some solid defensive work from Chris G, the Dragons captain, and Adam making his full debut. Ryan was called into action to palm a shot over the cross bar with a fine save, whilst Christian had to make some telling and very important tackles which included clearing the ball off the line. Jay was also as strong and quick as ever so it was looking very encouraging for the Dragons. The only thing the Dragons lacked in the first half was a goal.

Half time 0-0.

Aris came back to replace Jay for the second half. On 47 minutes Mike W ran onto a cross from John A with a strong header but the Bristol goalkeeper made a good save. Unfortunately, Ant took a cracking blow to the eye in the process.

The second half really belonged to Liam scoring a very well taken hat trick of goals.

On 50 minutes Chris O, who was causing the Bristol defence all sorts of problems, was fouled 20 yards from goal. Liam’s free kick was unstoppable and gave the keeper no chance. 1-0 Cardiff.

On 55 minutes the Dragons were caught out with a long ball over the defence. Ryan saved the initial shot but there was a rebound off both Chris G & Christian that found its way into the Dragons net, 1-1.

On 60 minutes Ryan was called into action to make a good save and there was an excellent clearance from Aris in the process. The midfield was winning so much possession with Matt and Liam; the Dragons were controlling the game.

Then it was back to the Liam show and on 72 minutes a cross from John A was controlled by Liam who hit the ball from 18 yards out to find the net with a rocket of a shot 2-1 Cardiff.

On 80 minutes the game was over with Liam running onto a through ball to shot past the Bristol keeper who got a hand to it but couldn’t stop it, 3-1.

Final score: Cardiff Dragons 3 Bristol Panthers 1

The game was well refereed by Gary and thanks go to all who ran the line Ali, Jay, Paul and Aris.

Huge thanks to the supporters on the line in very wet conditions; Ali, Amy, Paul, Darrin, James, Ruth, Alex, Richie, Hannah, Luke, Dean and me writing the match report hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Muzz the manager.