Cardiff Dragons FC v Devon Lions FC (South West league – home)

Cardiff Dragons 1 (Chris G 18 mins) Devon Lions 2

Sunday 18th May 2014 – Trelai Park, South West League

The Dragons go down 2-1 in their final game of the season on a very warm summers day.
The Dragons lined up as follows:
Ryan B, Jay, John A, Chris G (Capt), Nicky, Matt, Emyr, Anthony, Christian, Liam, Craig.

Subs: Amy, Paul, Adam, Ryan Mc.
The game started slowly in the heat the first 15 minutes was a midfield battle, although the Dragons were tending to control matters without threatening to score.

On 18 minutes the Dragons won a corner and from Anthony’s pin point kick, Chris G our Captain Marvel went racing in meeting the corner to head the ball home from 6 yards out 1-0 the Dragons.

Chris G's scoring header
Chris G’s scoring header

On 24 minutes there was a clash in the Dragons penalty area and the referee ruled there was a push on the Lions forward and pointed to the penalty spot. The Penalty was converted 1-1.

The Dragons were applying more pressure creating a number of chances Liam forcing the Lions keeper into an excellent save on 28 minutes.

On 29 minutes Craig came off and was replaced by Adam.

There was more good work by Liam which resulted in a shot by Anthony being blocked by a defender. The Dragons were forcing corners throughout the first half but without any more success. On 42 minutes a good ball from Christian to Emyr saw Emyr force the Lions keeper into another excellent save. On 45 minutes a shot by John A just went over the bar.

Half Time 1-1.

The Dragons made the following changes for the 2nd half: Paul, Amy, and Ryan Mc came on replacing John A, Christian and Jay. At the start of the second half the Dragons continued where they left off in the first half, creating chances without an end product. On 46 minutes a Liam shot was cleared off the goal line. On 48 minutes there was a great ball by Emyr to Matt, whose shot was saved well yet again by the keeper.
On 49 minutes Liam came off and Craig came back on. On 50 minutes a run into the Dragons box unfortunatly resulted in an own goal for the 2nd game in a row; Paul being unfotunate defender today. 1-2 The Lions. On 52 minutes Nicky came off to be replaced by Liam. On 55 minutes Ryan B pulled off an important save to keep the Dragons in the game.

The Lions were starting to apply more pressure in the 2nd half.

In fairness to the Dragons they never gave up. In the 2nd half there were more runs and shots by Liam, Matt, Emyr, Anthony and even a run into the box by Chris G, but it seemed that the Lions keeper was equal to everything the Dragons threw at them today. On 70 minutes Craig came off and Christian came back on.
Muzz tried everything to try and get at least an equaliser, by making tactical changes but it was one of thoses days again today. 2 games in a row, it was a very similar game to the Left Footers in London – loads of chances created without an end product.
In all fairness the Lions keeper had a very good game, he really prevented the Dragons from gaining a win today.

Final Score The Dragon 1 The Lions 2.

The game was well refereed.

I must make a mention the people not mentioned directly in the match report. Chris G was outstanding yet again at the heart of the defence also Nicky was strong as was Jay and John A at the back. Midfielders got through a great deal of running on a very hot day as did our forwards. It was nice to see Paul back and Amy coming on for the 2nd half along with Ryan Mc, Adam and also Craig who had to come off with an injury. All gave 100%.
Thank you to everyone who ran the line for us today and our supporters; our wonderful Chairperson Ali and for Ruth and Alex thank you.

My thanks goes once again to Muzz and his management for all the hard work this season.

This really is my final match report of the season now. Have a great summer everyone.
Dave Amos xxx

Dragons in their new Mitie-sponsored kit
Dragons in their new Mitie-sponsored kit