Devon Lions 2 – 0 Cardiff Dragons

On a warm and sunny afternoon the Dragon’s visited Devon and in a tight encounter and were unlucky to lose out to the hosts on the day.

The match was played on decent 3G type astroturf surface and the Dragons settled well in the early stages defending solidly and winning a lot of the ball in all areas. This resulted in us having a lot of possession and territory but despite this clear cut chances were few and far between. The Dragons best efforts came through a long range shot from Stefan which was well gathered by the home keeper and a well struck free kick by Muzz which flew narrowly over. At the other end Devon managed to get in a few dangerous crosses but these did not result in any clear scoring opportunities. They did however manage a couple of well struck attempts on target from the edge of the area but these were well gathered by Amos who was having a solid game making a welcome return from retirement in goal. The Dragons nearly took the lead right on half time when Jason played in Simon but a good attempt went narrowly wide. Score line 0-0 at half time.

The Dragon’s made one change for the second half with Darrin our only substitute coming on into midfield. The Lions started the second half the better of the 2 teams and forced a couple of early chances but Amos again dealt with these well. After 10 minutes or so the Dragons began to find their feet again but although forcing a lot of play in the final third clear cut chance were still hard to come by. Simon and Michael were continuing to work hard up front and Simon did find the net midway through the half but unfortunately he had strayed offside. The pressure continued with Hywel and Stefan winning a lot of midfield ball but despite a couple of goalmouth scrambles from corners the visitors could still not find the net. This was to prove costly as the Lions who were playing some testing balls forward caught the Dragons with two sucker punches within 5 minutes. Their first goal came from a close range header as a Lions player capitalised on hesitation in the home defence following a ball in from the right. The sun was making it difficult to judge some arial balls and one of these through the centre caught out the Dragons defence soon after and the Lions centre forward kept his cool with a good lobbed finish.  With nothing to lose the Dragons reverted to 3 at the back in an attempt to get back into the game quickly but the Lions held us at bay to run out 2-0 winners.

Well done to Michael who had a very good debut and to Hywel who was voted Dragon’s player of the match. It was also good to see our captain Anthony back in action following injury and having a very solid game. A very encouraging performance overall with everyone making a fantastic contribution on the day including our supporters.

Dragons team: – Dave A (GK), Aris D, Murray H (manager), Anthony R (captain), Jason C, John A, Hywel J, Stefan M, Michael W, Michal L, Simon E, Darrin H.